[LEAPSECS] Time Synchronization in Financial markets

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Tue Oct 11 08:01:36 EDT 2016

Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
 |On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 12:02 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> \
 |wrote:
 |>> Not being a traditionalist myself, I don't feel that there is anything \
 |>> wrong
 |>> with 23:59:60 as a label for a particular second.
 |>
 |> Unfortunately, POSIX says that second doesn't exist so a lot of the \
 |> software
 |> you use can't handle it.
 |
 |And a system that returns a POSIX time does undefined things for the
 |leap second by definition...

I don't understand why these persons use civil time at all.
Working with multiple clocks at a time is the reality of many.
And, as far as i understand, they seem to have the environment to
keep on going with the correct time, regardless.  I.e., they can
choose, whereas i can not (easily, at least).

(Well.  These bet on the live of the children of mothers still to
be born, they, ~25 years ago, did move more money on a single day
than entire humanity produces, exploits and generates in a whole
year, with 20 year olds who move more money a day than more than
just one entire nation generates in a whole year.  What money is
this?  It doesn't exist.  (And not even taking into account the
debt level of the U.S. at that time.)  So in my opinion it is not
responsible to give these unreflected subjects control over
resources and food, and life in general.  It is however
understandable that the necessity to assure a livelihood and or
professional ambition demands working with these people.)

It was an interesting reading (i skipped over the maths, of
course), especially so the necessity for calibration and the
interference factors that have been taken into account.  It is
fascinating to see how much we have learned, even though much of
the physics and chemistry etc. is in active use whereas not fully
understood.  (Just yesterday i've read about the Haber-Bosch
process, for example, which was in use a long time before it could
be explained in detail, as far as i have understood.)  All the
physical values that are involved, tidals, tectonics, atmosphere
denseness, earth rotation and position in the solar system,
human-caused emissions, that makes it pretty impressive to end up
with such a high accuracy, all over the world.

--steffen