[LEAPSECS] Bloomberg announced its smear

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Sep 24 17:46:40 EDT 2016

tvb said:
> Smearing is fine. It's a practical solution to an intractable problem. But
> forcing everyone to implement it the exact same way misses the point. You
> can't create a standard for your favorite set of time applications and then
> try to force it upon everyone else's time applications.

I think that's misleading.  If you are going to smear, there are a lot of
problems that go away if everybody uses the same parameters.

Unless there are reasons to select one value over another, selecting one with
a coin flip is generally better than running incompatible implementations.

This is still early in the deployment cycle.  It may be appropriate to
experiment.  Unfortunately, leap seconds don't happen often enough to make
that an useful approach to gaining experience.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.