[LEAPSECS] Bloomberg announced its smear

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Sep 28 10:27:40 EDT 2016

> Actually, cosine with a much higher frequency might be the way to
> beat the median filter.

If the only application of leap smear is to placate NTP, and if all NTP clients use the same hardcoded filter parameters, then, yes, by all means, find a higher, optimal frequency.

But I would worry about defining a future leap smear specification based on legacy NTP parameters. And it begs the question -- if the choice of parameters for a proposed new universal smear standard are so rooted in NTP, why not just fix NTP in the first place?

/tvb