[LEAPSECS] Bloomberg announced its smear

Michael Shields mshields at google.com
Thu Sep 29 15:05:16 EDT 2016

The cosine smear might be better for leap-naïve clients that have to
recognize and adapt to the frequency change, but the linear smear also
seems to work well for this if the period is long enough.  The simpler
smear is great for leap-aware clients who must present a POSIX API.  A
client that knows about the upcoming leap, either from NTP's leap
indicator bits or from a leap second file, can use the kernel
timekeeping knobs to slew the clock in a coordinated way instead of a
reactive way.