[LEAPSECS] BBC radio Crowd Science

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Mon Feb 6 20:22:29 EST 2017

On 2017-02-06 06:30 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> I'm not a GPS expert. IS-GPS-200G is dense. The TAI-UTC value is
>> signaled, but how its encoded is complicated, and when its updated is
>> unclear to me. See 20.3.3.5.2.4 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Can
>> anyone speak to that and this topic? What does GPS do? Is it clear? Or
>> does it actually suffer from this same ambiguity we are discussing?
> Remember, the alleged ambiguity is only about the what / when of time scale integer offsets. There's no ambiguity in TAI or UTC or GPS time stamps themselves. GPS receivers tend not to output anything like an offset, so they are immune from this discussion.
Sure, GPS navigation relies on GPS time, not UTC. That's the whole point
of its primary timescale; ignoring UTC for that purpose. PTP does the
same - UTC is treated as a second class citizen.

> Most commercial GPS timing receivers tend to output GPS time or UTC; there are internal configuration commands. Their UTC rolls over as one would expect and they output 23:59:60 appropriately.
That's where my question is. A GPS receiver would read the UTC metadata
supplied in the GPS signal to generate UTC 23:59:60 from the primary GPS
time, right?

We see from this discussion there are several ways folks use to
calculate this conversion, but what method to use may depend on the
organization of the metadata.

How is the UTC metadata handled in a GPS receiver? IS-GPS-200G,
20.3.3.5.2.4 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) explains a lot, but its
pretty complicated how the various metadata components are encoded and
updated. My question is, after decoding and adjusting the GPS data, when
is the TAI-UTC portion of the metadata updated? At the beginning of, or
the end of, the Leap Second?
> To get TAI one just adds 19 to GPS time. So no worries either way.
Right, but I am still a little worried.

If I were building a GPS-to-PTP receiver/generator, how would I read the
GPS UTC metadata to populate the PTP UTC metadata? In particular, when
should timePropertiesDS.currentUtcOffset be incremented? This has
critical significance to the device receiving the PTP signal if accurate
UTC is a requirement.

> Some cheaper GPS receivers output UTC date and time only, via easy-to-use NMEA sentences. In addition, by design, they avoid a 23:59:60 time stamp, which would upset upstream instruments. So during a leap second they either output 23:59:59 twice, or output 00:00:00 twice, or stutter and reset and stumble into the next day.
"Stutter and stumble" is not the sort of behavior we're seeking, I hope. :-)

This goes back round to the question of how UTC is mapped into
86400-second-day systems, such as POSIX time. Does the Leap Second map
to 23:59:59>23:59:59 (freeze), or 00:00:00>00:00:00 (rollover and reset)?

David Wells says NTP does the first, and POSIX time does the second:

The NTP Timescale and Leap Seconds
https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/leap.html

And, back round to the first question, section 5. How NTP Implements
Leap Seconds says quite clearly TAI-UTC increments *after* the Leap Second.

-Brooks