[LEAPSECS] Greetings from an intercalary second

John Hawkinson jhawk at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 1 18:35:00 EST 2017

Since no one has yet mentioned it:

Steve Summit <scs+ls at eskimo.com> wrote on Sat, 31 Dec 2016
at 19:11:51 -0500 in <2016Dec31.1911.scs.0010 at eskimo.com>:

> I should have said: readers who are able to view the raw Date:
> line "on the wire".  Any mail software which parses and
> redisplays the date (including that which archives this mailing
> list at pairlist6.pair.net) is likely to "normalize" it to 19:00.
> But on the wire it was:
>
> 	Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 18:59:60 -0500

I am appalled to report that MIT's Microsoft Exchange infrastructure
(Microsoft SMTP Server id 14.3.235.1 if you trust the Received:
headers) rewrote the header to this:

> Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 19:00:13 -0500

I haven't a clue why it is off by 14 seconds, and I don't have any
administrative access to the server(s) in question. But I understand
anecdotally Exchange parses and stores head information in something
other than the native message format.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson