[LEAPSECS] JD & MJD, UT1 & UTC

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Wed Jan 4 04:55:19 EST 2017

Zefram wrote:
> Steve Summit wrote:
>> And this is eerily similar to the idea of using a struct
>> timespec with a nonnormalized tv_nsec field.
>
> For that matter, tm_sec==60 is the same class of trick too.  We're just
> varying at which digit position we stuff in an out-of-radix value.

Yes, but the advantage of a nonnormalized tv_nsec field is that it can
be used with "legacy" structures which have "seconds since the epoch" in
the tv_sec field.

On the other hand, this may break existing applications which aren't
aware that the number in tv_nsec can exceed 1000000000, so those might
display strange timestamps. ;-)

Martin