[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

Preben Nørager samp5087 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 10:29:59 EST 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-04 at 15:25 +0100, John Sauter wrote:

"Preben, You and I disagree on this issue.  For me this is fundamentally a
moral
concern.  I believe that each generation should handle its problems as
best it can, leaving to the next generation only unforeseen problems.
The tension between the need of civil society and science for a time
scale that simultaneously matches the Earth and atomic time is met by
the Gregorian Calendar and UTC.
The reform that brought the calendar back into synchronization with the
seasons was proposed several times but got no traction until 1582.
That generation bit the bullet and suffered the dislocation of dropping
10 days from the calendar rather than continue to defer the problem.
It took centuries for everyone to get on-board, but today almost
everyone uses the Gregorian calendar.
UTC, as it is defined today with leap seconds, is a similar challenge.
We can fix the buggy software or we can cause a problem for the next
generation.  I feel that it would be immoral to remove an adequate
solution just because we are too lazy to write code correctly."

--

Dear John,

The existing leap-second-system will not last forever. Because of future
deceleration of earth rotation, the need for leap seconds will sometime
become so immense, that future generations will have to have another system
anyway. And as I said international atomic time, with national official
time zones, seems the best way forward. I agree with you that the gregorian
reform was a good thing, but there were actually two different aspects of
that reform. The first was the new rule for leap years. That new rule
brought the calendar back into synchronization with the seasons and hurra
for that. The other aspect was the dropping of ten days. I don't know
exactly why the march equinox shall occur allways around march 21. Would
allways around march 11 not have been just as good? Anyway, meeting the
need for synchronization with the seasons is not the same as meeting the
need for synchronization with solar noon. The gregorian calendar can meet
the need of the one, and atomic time with time-zones can meet the need of
the other. I think honestly your moral concern is not future generations,
but something else.

Preben