[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 5 05:42:25 EST 2017

> 1) The leap day in February can be handled by any isolated or autonomous
> clock or timekeeping system. A leap second can only be handled with periodic
> direct or indirect communication with IERS, or manual intervention with the
> likes of keyboard input or toggle switches. For secure or embedded systems
> this is a huge issue.

If a system is isolated, does it matter if its clock knows about leap seconds?

I could imagine that "isolated" meant nothing goes in for security reasons, but then time doesn't go in either.  So maybe you allow GPS to go in the back door, but that has leap info.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.