[LEAPSECS] Leap seconds ain't broken, but most implementations are broken

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jan 5 09:10:08 EST 2017

Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at burnicki.net> wrote:

> If upstream servers aren't aware of the leap second and don't insert it,
> then our server will see that its time is off by 1 sec after it has
> (correctly) inserted the leap second. So a few minutes after the leap
> second our server will step its time to match the time of its upstream
> servers, and thus effectively undo the leap second it has inserted.

It sounds to me like NTP needs a way of more persistently marking time
sources that fail to leap as being wrong. If it has other time sources
that did leap correctly then maybe it can remove the error marker if/when
a non-leaper resyncs.

Tony.
Southeast Iceland: Southerly, veering westerly or southwesterly, 7 to severe
gale 9, occasionally storm 10 in for a time northwest. Very rough or high.
Rain or sleet. Moderate or poor.