[LEAPSECS] seconde intercalaire

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jan 5 09:39:46 EST 2017

An alert reader sent me this note. I have not independently confirmed it.
/tvb

========

On December 31, 2016, in Montreal Québec, the municipal police/FD radio
communications went into a total shutdown for over 55 minutes.

The $74 million digital-encrypted SERAM radio communications system developed
by Airbus DS suddenly went down preventing communications between the 9-1-1
central dispatch and patrolmen on the field.

After investigation, the problem has been finally found: the system engineers
forgot to take into account the "unexpected" leap second that occurred on
Dec 31 2016 at 23:59:60 !!!!

Source (in French):
http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2017/01/04/exclusif--faille-de-securite-majeure-au-nouvel-an

========