[LEAPSECS] Leap seconds ain't broken, but most implementations are broken

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Sat Jan 7 09:14:49 EST 2017

On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 10:56 +0000, Zefram wrote:

> No, the Gregorian calendar is yet another thing that doesn't imply
> 86400-second days.  (POSIX time_t is another.)  There's a general
> pattern
> here that whenever there's some construct that counts or labels days,
> and is (as most are) silent on the fine internal structure of those
> days,
> you (Brooks) interpret it as specifying that the days consist of
> exactly
> 86400 SI seconds.  (Or atomically-realised seconds, which you do not
> distinguish from SI seconds.)  I cannot think of an occasion when you
> have drawn that inference and been correct.
>
> -zefram

I beg to differ.  The POSIX definition of time_t (4.16 Seconds since
the Epoch) says "How any changes to the value of seconds since the
Epoch are made to align to a desired relationship with the current
actual time is implementation-defined. As represented in seconds since
the Epoch, each and every day shall be accounted for by exactly 86400
seconds."

See <http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/>.
    john Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyesocmputerstore.com)
--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E