[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

Preben Nørager samp5087 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 13:32:40 EST 2017

On Mon Jan 9 12:55:32 EST 2017, John Sauter wrote:

"I don't understand what you mean when you say "Leap seconds are really
only a need for those who do not want to see the proleptic gregorian
calendar become universal."  I would have no objection to the proleptic
Gregorian calendar becoming universal (though I would not force it on
anyone who did not like it) and yet I am a supporter of leap seconds."

Maybe that is the real difference between you as a supporter, and me as an
opponent of leap seconds. I mean if leap seconds are abolished, then the
gregorian calendar is implicitly forced on, because of the implicit
connection between the international atomic timescale, and the gregorian
calendar. I really do not see a moral problem in abolishing leap seconds,
and that way implicitly forcing the gregorian calendar on the scientific
community.