[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Jan 12 11:51:58 EST 2017

Preben Nrager said:
> I quoted this from Newcomb: "To avoid the inconvenience thus arising
> astronomers measure the years from a zero epoch one year earlier than the
> birth of Christ ; that is, they place a year before the year 1, and measure
> from its beginning." Is it irrelevant that Newcomb wanted astronomers to
> "measure from its [year 0s] beginning"?

Actually I think you'll find that Newcomb was trying to resolve the
cardinal/ordinal problem: going N periods takes you to the N+1th period,
not the Nth period.

In computing terms we'd call this the C versus Fortran issue: do array
indices start at 0 or 1.

"My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration."
- Stan Kelly-Bootle

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.