[LEAPSECS] leap second roundup 2017

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Oct 26 01:48:51 EDT 2017

On Wed 2017-10-25T07:25:01+0000 Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:
> >  Sadler is nearly alone on
> >record expressing the opinion that the leap second was a bad idea,
> >everybody else thought it was the perfect solution.
>
> A perfectly good argument why we should not listen to the astronomers
> this time around :-)

Sadler was an astronomer, and he had written the explanation of the
long-term implications and complexities of dealing with conversions
between multiple time scales with discontinuities.  After Sadler
presented objections to the proposal for leap seconds at the IAU
meetings the CCIR did not invite the IAU to contribute to the
decision.  So leap seconds were presented to the bureaucrats of the
CCIR assembly by physicists and radio scientists, and instituted
without input from astronomers.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855