[LEAPSECS] no more listening to leap seconds?

Rob Seaman seaman at lpl.arizona.edu
Sat Aug 11 09:27:22 EDT 2018

Whatever the outcome this year, the writing is on the wall. It seems
shortsighted, and unnecessarily cruel to 36 people and the pleasant town
of Fort Collins. The bit about the atomic spectra DB perhaps even more
so; their wide range of users themselves serve a much wider range of
communities. If it isn't the job of NIST to maintain and improve the
atomic spectra database, then who? Is there a spec-nuts list?

Presumably part of the thinking about WWVB is not NTP so much as CDMA.
In a world in which everybody carries cellphones why look to any other
technology? The answer is a few miles up the road from Fort Collins
where the cell signal vanishes in the mountains and high plains. The
transition is already underway as fitbits and other watches require
syncing to an app to reset the time, making crossing timezones in flight
a more awkward exercise while taxiing.

The "atomic clocks" on the shelves at Costco will eventually be replaced
by new-and-improved CDMA and GPS versions that won't work as well
interior to buildings. Maybe one of the POE clock vendors will release
an inexpensive wifi model.

Rob