[LEAPSECS] Windows Server 2019

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Jul 18 23:14:12 EDT 2018

"In addition, there is no standard method for applying this frequency
adjustment, so that different implementations may disagree among
themselves in addition to the time error with respect to UTC."

As a IT professional, and author of date/time libraries, I cannot
stress enough how much a standard is needed here. We are going to have
both UTC (with leap seconds) and systems that smear ("UT-Smear") and
there is currently no agreed way to define the latter or move from one
to the other. I strongly suspect that Microsoft is going to have to
define a smear in order to meet old APIs, but this really should be
something well defined by a standard, not invented by a company.

Stephen