[LEAPSECS] Windows Server 2019

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Jul 19 05:17:53 EDT 2018

On 19 July 2018 at 09:44, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>> As a IT professional, and author of date/time libraries, I cannot stress
>> enough how much a standard is needed here. We are going to have both UTC
>> (with leap seconds) and systems that smear ("UT-Smear") and there is
>> currently no agreed way to define the latter or move from one to the other. I
>> strongly suspect that Microsoft is going to have to define a smear in order
>> to meet old APIs, but this really should be something well defined by a
>> standard, not invented by a company.
>
> I think there is a semi-standard emerging for NTP.
>
> There are several big companies running smearing servers.  I think they have
> all agreed to use the same parameters.  I think that's linear over 24 hours,
> 12 before the leap and 12 after.  I'll dig deeper if it matters.

What I'm hoping will appear is a document that can be treated as a
standard (preferably at a formal standards body of some kind).

With the changes to Java, I used UTC-SLS (linear over 1000secs). But I
deliberately left open the possibility for Java to adopt any future
standard for smearing that emerged.
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/docs/api/java/time/Instant.html

Stephen