[LEAPSECS] Windows Server 2019

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jul 19 07:06:13 EDT 2018

> I think it does matter. I, for one, would be interested in credible
> explanation of the "smears", and, if these have been coordinated, by  whom,
> and how.

Here is Google's documentation:
  https://developers.google.com/time/smear

We encourage anyone smearing leap seconds to use a 24-hour linear smear from
noon to noon UTC.

We plan to use this smear for all future leap seconds. Amazon uses this smear
in AWS.

> What I'm hoping will appear is a document that can be treated as a standard
> (preferably at a formal standards body of some kind).

I don't think you will get more than the above.

The fundamental problem is that POSIX doesn't admit to the existence of leap
seconds.

Smearing on NTP is a hack.  It just happens to be a very useful hack.  It
covers many many systems.

People are unlikely to work on a document for something that can be described
in one line of text, especially when all the people who care have already
agreed.  The whole point of smearing is so that most users don't have to do
anything.  Why do you need documentation for that?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.