[LEAPSECS] Windows Server 2019

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 20 09:25:49 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 6:03 AM, Nero Imhard <nimh at pipe.nl> wrote:

> scs+ls at eskimo.com schreef op 2018-07-20 11:35:
>
> The question of what happens if you try to run a leapsec-aware
> kernel downstream of a smearing NTP server is an interesting one.
> My preferred answer is "Don't do that."
>

> If that translates to "don't smear ntp" I could not agree more.
> Smearing is catering to those who won't clean up their act,
> causing trouble for those who try to do the right thing.

I view smeared leap seconds as a wholesale repudiation of the whole concept
of leap seconds. They are too hard to get right, despite decades of trying,
so screw those time guys, we'll paper over their horrible design...

Of course, I came to this conclusion before smeared leapseconds trying to
get systems to behave perfectly. The old "but it's only a second" refrain
when I filed bug reports and talked to management showed nobody cared.

Warner