[LEAPSECS] the inception of leap seconds

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Jun 7 00:51:42 EDT 2018

Back in March Demetrios Matsakis objected to some of my web pages and
also pointed out the role that Gernot Winkler had in their inception.
That led me to dive deeper into the Lick Observatory Library and find
more documents which present contemporary views of the people who were
there at the inception.

Among many things I have found is a paraphrase of Arthur C. Clarke
in Childhood's End

Leap Seconds are not for Navigation

https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/leapincept.html

Even deeper in the libary are other documents which shed light on
things that went wrong before the inception of the earlier form of
coordinated time in radio broadcasts.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855