[LEAPSECS] D.H. Sadler in 1954

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Mon Mar 19 01:12:49 EDT 2018

On Sat, 2018-03-17 at 22:52 +0000, Michael.Deckers via LEAPSECS wrote:

>     So, the likely future is that the limit on |UT1 - UTC| will be
> dropped,
>     leap seconds will no longer be applied, and UTC will become a
> fixed
>     translate of TAI (so that dissemination of TAI - UTC becomes
> unnecessary).

I think you are reading too much into the recommendation.  There is no
mention made of letting UT1 - UTC become unbounded, but only to
"consider the present limitation on the maximum magnitude of UT1 - UTC"
and to "improve further the accuracy of the prediction of UT1 - UTC".

Allowing UT1 - UTC to increase from plus or minus 0.9 seconds to plus
or minus 1.9 seconds would require changes in the protocols used to
disseminate UT1 - UTC, but it is definitely possible.  Improving the
accuracy of the prediction of UT1 - UTC is a good idea but may not be
possible, since predicting the rotation of the Earth is like predicting
the weather.

In my opinion, the intended future is that the frequency of Bulletin C
is decreased from twice a year to once a year, or once every two years.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)
--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E