[LEAPSECS] UT1 via NTP

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 19 15:41:46 EDT 2018

> The issue has come up now since a colleague asked about best practices for
> access to UT1. In the mean time he's implemented yet another internet
> retrieval of Bulletin A. Perhaps it needs to be stressed again, astronomers
> require access to both Universal Time and Atomic Time.

What level of accuracy are you interested in?

NTP is unlikely to provide good results if there is only one server and there
isn't a good network connection to it.

Perhaps we should setup a simple UDP server that responds with the UT1-UTC
offset.  The idea is that you can get a good UTC via GPS or good local NTP
servers.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.