[LEAPSECS] UT1 via NTP

Rob Seaman seaman at lpl.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 19 16:11:44 EDT 2018

One uses the tools as designed for diverse purposes. NTP in a pool
environment is accurate to a few milliseconds. With our local GNSS
references something better than a millisecond. With an IRIG shared
memory reference maybe an order of magnitude better. Hardware time
capture for our Meinberg IRIG PCIe cards is spec'ed and measured to 5
microseconds. The PTP versions of those cards quotes something better
than 1 microsecond. Hardware time capture to OCXO in the Meinberg M1000
should be precise / accurate to 100 nanoseconds. All of these are
commercially available with only ordinary attention to metrology, e.g.,
like understanding the calibration of a precision balance in a lab.
Meinberg has an excellent monitoring tool built in to their reference
clocks.

"Customers" (internal or external) for astronomical timekeeping (but
should be applicable to other fields) may require TAI, GPS, UTC, UT1, or
more esoteric things like TT. I can set the Meinberg references to
deliver all of these except UT1. All the rest would follow. I'd be happy
to hear about support from other vendors. Needless to say, commercial
timekeeping vendors should also be expected to implement conforming leap
second support for their internet attached devices.

Rob