[LEAPSECS] UT1 via NTP

Rob Seaman seaman at lpl.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 21 12:23:23 EDT 2018

Heading to the telescope to work on timekeeping for a new instrument, so
don't have time to write emails talking about timekeeping for the old
ones :-)

NTP, of course, can be used with local reference clocks. It would be
great if the NIST UT1 implementation were available for local
deployment, or perhaps the GNSS vendors could support same.

That said, there are use cases for Universal Time over NTP - indeed,
nearly all of them currently - and in addition to precision timekeeping
for scientists, I believe this will continue for many other communities
and the requirements will grow should UTC itself no longer serve this role.

And on the other hand, radio astronomers, solar system astronomers,
space situational awareness, precision navigation, etc, may well need
UT1 now and in the future to significantly more precision than a tenth
second. Indeed, UT1 itself is measured with respect to distant fixed
radio sources.

Jamming of GPS / GNSS is a different, if also important, thread. What
are the robust alternatives for widely distributed sources of TAI / UTC?

Rob