[LEAPSECS] is leap smear legal in Germany?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Feb 9 12:23:52 EST 2019

Steve, et al.

Some good history resources:

"Special Topic 50 years of time dissemination with DCF77"
https://www.ptb.de/cms/fileadmin/internet/fachabteilungen/abteilung_4/4.4_zeit_und_frequenz/pdf/2011_PTBMitt_50a_DCF77_engl.pdf

"Time - the SI Base Unit Second"
https://www.ptb.de/cms/fileadmin/internet/fachabteilungen/abteilung_4/4.4_zeit_und_frequenz/pdf/2012_Bauch_PTBM_125a_en.pdf

The above is of special interest to me (being both a pendulum and atomic clock experimenter) is the mention of A. Scheibe and U. Adelsberger who used multiple quartz clocks to demonstrate that it was the earth, not pendulum clocks, not quartz clocks that was unstable.

"A. Scheibe und U. Adelsberger; Physiker und Uhrenbauer aus Deutschland"
http://chronos-ev.de/vortrag/quarz5.pdf

"Some aspects of precision time measurements, controlled by means of
 piezo-electric-vibrators, as deployed in Germany prior to 1950"
http://www.cdvandt.org/PTR%20quartz-clock.pdf

The above mentions "The first statistical proof of the deviations of the daily earth rotation".

"Special Issue; The System of Units"
https://www.ptb.de/cms/fileadmin/internet/publikationen/ptb_mitteilungen/mitt2012/Heft1/PTB-Mitteilungen_2012_Heft_1_en.pdf

"50 Years of the Atomic Definition of the Second"
https://oar.ptb.de/files/download/59ef10144c918497222d9bb7

"Fifty years of atomic time-keeping: 1955 to 2005"
DOI: 10.1088/0026-1394/42/3/E01

"The 50th Anniversary of the Atomic Second"
DOI: 10.1109/TUFFC.2018.2823591

More (possible dead) links here: https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2005-July/019010.html

/tvb