[LEAPSECS] Adjusting Big Ben video (was Re: Of stepping motors and leap seconds)

Richard Langley lang at unb.ca
Mon Feb 11 11:40:23 EST 2019

And while we are on the topic of the history of Big Ben:

A prototype of the Great Clock at Westminster (usually referred to as Big Ben, although that was the name given to the great bell that chimes the hours) was installed in Christ Church Cathedral, here in Fredericton, in 1854, by the firm of Denison. Big Ben began operation on 31 May, 1859. By the way, if you're interested in the history of Big Ben, you might try to track down the slim 1946 book "The Book of Big Ben: The Story of the Great Clock of Westminster" by Alfred Gillgrass (Citizen and Liveryman, The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers, London) and with a foreward by Lt.-Cmdr. Rupert T. Gould (who restored the
marine chronometers of John Harrison).

-- Richard Langley

| Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: lang at unb.ca         |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://gge.unb.ca/     |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142   |
| University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943   |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3                                        |
|        Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.fredericton.ca/       |