[LEAPSECS] leapseconds, converting between GPS time (week, second) and UTC

Rob Seaman seaman at lpl.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 15 14:41:27 EST 2019

Isn't this covered (for instance) in section 20.3.3.5.2.4(b) of
IS-GPS-200J (https://www.gps.gov/technical/icwg/IS-GPS-200J.pdf)? The
various libraries and operating systems listed deal with none of the
reference time scales (GPS, UTC, or TAI, for that matter) completely and
correctly.

There's no obvious connection here with astronomical use cases. We rely
on our reference clocks' vendor to have implemented IS-GPS-200J and
relevant standards correctly. These devices operate off single board
linux cards, but I presume they wrote the critical code themselves to
handle leap seconds, but also other precision timekeeping issues not
entertained by POSIX and other mass market software. Our clocks handle
time scales other than UTC, but since our customer (NASA PDCO) specifies
UTC, that's what we deliver.

The bread-and-butter leap second discussions on this list seem
irrelevant to simply meeting an engineering requirement to adhere to
whatever standard. If POSIX, python, excel, whatever don't provide
canned tools to convert seamlessly between GPS and UTC, or to handle
format conversions from week:ms to sexagesimal, such tools must be
implemented outside those languages/libraries. There are a vast number
of other science-related data engineering details that POSIX (for
example) also does not implement.

Rob Seaman, Lunar and Planetary Laboratory