[LEAPSECS] leapseconds, converting between GPS time (week, second) and UTC

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Jan 22 10:25:29 EST 2019

On Mon 2019-01-21T15:32:27-0800 Paul Hirose hath writ:
> On 2019-01-16 1:35, Steve Allen wrote:
> > So starting 1970-01-01 DCF77 changed to broadcast Stepped Atomic Time
> > (SAT) with second markers that were 1 SI second apart except on
> > occasions when they were 1.2 SI seconds apart in order that the time
> > markers would stay close to UT2.

> I don't know when DCF77 inserted the step adjustments, so I created a small
> table sufficient for an example.

In Bulletin Horaire series J there are announcements of when
and how big jumps should be inserted into SAT.  I don't know
what meeting prescribed that responsibility to them, but they
did it.

If the BIH continued to do this then when Germany shifted from old
rubber UTC to SAT in 1970 they were almost certainly following the BIH
jumps.  Starting in 1967 BIH stopped Bulletin Horaire and started
Circular D and their Annual Report.  The BIH Circulars may be hard to
find, but BIH Annual Report is in libraries.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855