[LEAPSECS] Leap seconds have a larger context than POSIX

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Feb 6 09:08:14 EST 2020

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020, 3:22 AM Tom Van Baak <tvb at leapsecond.com> wrote:

> Hi Hal,
>
> It's 2020. How on earth can NTP still not implement UTC correctly, in all
> cases? Or is it a fundamental NTP design flaw?

Design flaw. NTP time stamps can't encode a leap second. It can therefore
never really work in all cases. We are left with what hack do you want to
do today.

> The Z3801A issue doesn't sound like an NTP problem. This is a known legacy
> Z3801A f/w or Motorola Oncore problem, yes? Maybe also affected by one or
> even two GPS WNRO problems buy now?

Known past issues are likely future problems. 40 years in software has
taught me that we do not always learn and apply the lessons of the past.
Every 5-10 years we swap out the coders that learned them for newer,
cheaper labor. Or there are new players in a niche that have more hubris
than tribal knowledge. This guarantees bugs will repeat.

Warner

/tvb