[LEAPSECS] Executive Order on Strengthening National Resilience through Responsible Use of Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Services

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Feb 13 15:20:48 EST 2020

 > Within 180 days of the date of this order, the Secretary of Commerce
shall
 > make available a GNSS-independent source of Coordinated Universal Time,
 > to support the needs of critical infrastructure owners and operators,
 > for the public and private sectors to access.

And I hope by "source of Coordinated Universal Time" they mean not just
a time value, but also the metadata necessary to implement leap seconds.
That's as little as 2 bits to indicate pending leap status in the
current month (as WWV* does it) or UTC offset information (as GPS does
it), etc.

Also not clear if this new source of UTC must be secure and jam
resistant. If so, that eliminates the WWV* stations as well as NIST /
USNO telephone time as the solution.

/tvb