[LEAPSECS] leap seconds in POSIX

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 27 07:15:36 EST 2020

Zefram via LEAPSECS <leapsecs at leapsecond.com> wrote:
> Hal Murray wrote:
> >I assume the basic idea would be something like switch the kernel to use TAI
> >rather than UTC and implement conversion in some library routines.
>
> That's not a viable approach, because of the wide range of uses to which
> time_t is put.

In particular, the kernel needs time_t for compatibility with filesystems
that need it, and other non-syscall interfaces that expose time_t. There's
a lot of them.

Tony.
South Fitzroy: Westerly or southwesterly 5 to 7, occasionally 4 in south.
Rough or very rough. Rain or showers. Good, occasionally poor.