[LEAPSECS] Another vote on UTC, facebook

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Mar 18 21:52:49 EDT 2020

Recent news; another middle-finger to UTC as currently, legally defined.

"Building a more accurate time service at Facebook scale"
https://engineering.fb.com/production-engineering/ntp-service/

"Facebook Switches to New Timekeeping Service"
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/facebook-new-time-keeping-service

Unfortunately, I don't see a white paper, code, or technical details on
positive/negative smear duration or slew rate, so we don't know if at
the ms level it's the same as Google or Amazon or others on this bandwagon.

If you're one of the facebook devs working on the project and you see
this posting, please help the leap second community with technical details.

Thanks,
/tvb