[LEAPSECS] LOD reaches 0 s/d

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 19:24:31 EST 2020

On 11/12/20 3:45 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
>
>>      predicts that d(UT2)/d(TAI) = 1 after 2021-11-13, ie
>>      the rates of UTT2 and TAI are expected to agree for the
>>      next year. This has never happened since 1961. We may
>>      not need to abolish leap seconds for quite a while.
>
> Unless of course we get close enough to a negative one, that people
> are *really* going to freak out.
>
> Hands in the air:  Who here besides Warner and me has ever tried to
> test handling of negative leap-seconds ?

not exactly leap seconds, but I had a system that ingested time from two
sources that were nominally synced, and one slipped behind -  it was a
gruesome disaster. Time going backwards creates ALL sorts of problems
with log files and locking schemes and telemetry decoding/plotting that
assume that time is monotonically increasing. (we leave, aside, the
whole daylight time issue - that's a "print formatting of time values"
thing.

It fills me with great trepidation if clock time were ever to go
backwards.  I think what would happen is that people would hack it and
have it sort of run slowly over some seconds, while maintaining
monotonicity.  And then create tiger teams to fix it when someone else
did it differently, and your financial system ingested transactions that
appeared to end before they started.