[LEAPSECS] 256-week / leap seconds / in the news

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Jul 24 21:50:50 EDT 2021

In the news:

"GPS will broadcast a 0 second leap second in 128 days"
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27944776

First, there really isn't a thing called a "0 leap second", but if
you've read the GPS ICD wrt leap seconds, you can see why it was posted.
Second, it happened once before, in 2003.

Welcome to another leap second drought. Only this time, it's 2021
instead of 2003 and u-blox receivers instead of Oncore receivers, so the
footprint could be several orders of magnitude larger.

Before we worry too much, take your time, follow the links, listen for
more reports, hopefully we get to see some source code. I've sent some
emails out to track down details of the symptoms.

/tvb