[LEAPSECS] leap minute or hour

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Nov 14 16:22:27 EST 2022

--------
Eric Scace writes:

> If a leap minute were to be added/removed at some future date
> when UTC became significantly more that 30 seconds different from
> mean solar time, [...]

Thanks to timezones and DST, less than 1% of the worlds population
live where mean solar time is correct to a minute.

I doubt the will manage to convince the other 99+% to do something
as deranged as a leap-minute.

Full hour shifts, on the other hand, can be done merely by changing
the time-zone, and they can be done through the normal political
process, aligned to recognized borders.