Emphasis or Italic?

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sat Apr 29 16:50:41 EDT 2006

* James Bennett <ubernostrum at gmail.com> [2006-04-29 22:20]:

> On 4/29/06, Anton J Aylward <aja at si.on.ca> wrote:

> >... And pretty soon, to accommodate all this semantics, you

> >end up with XML.

> XML is just as powerless to formalize "semantics" as is HTML.

Why does everyone use “semantics” and “XML” in the same sentence?
XML vocabularies may model semantics (DocBook is much finer-
grained than XHTML, f.ex.), but XML has no semantics. XML is just
syntax.

In any case, the sound poem consisting of many variations of
“Oh!”, which is what got us going off on this tangent, would
require not accurately modelled semantics, but rather an accurate
aural presentation, much like `<b>` and `<i>` are visual
presentation.

Of course, semantics vs presentation is a big hairball and we’re
not going to unravel it in this thread, nor does that have much
to do with Markdown.

Now, uh, what where we talking about before we got off track…?

Regards,