Markdown 1.0.2b4 Performance Drop

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Tue Aug 1 01:57:38 EDT 2006

Allan Odgaard <29mtuz102 at sneakemail.com> wrote on 7/29/06 at 9:21 PM:

> I was recently made aware of the the Markdown 1.0.2 beta 4 and

> naturally downloaded it in great anticipation, as I am a big fan of

> Markdown :)

I haven't been very religious about posting my own development
builds on a regular basis. I ran into that performance bug as
well, and fixed it back in April. I'm pretty sure no one has that
fix other than me.

I'll do another beta release ASAP.

> Though I did notice a significant performance drop: The TextMate

> manual is 3,000 lines (173 KB) and previously took 4-5 seconds to

> convert to HTML (measuring only time spent by `Markdown.pl`.) With

> the new version this has increased to almost 30 seconds.

Is that a single file, or a bunch of files? That'd be a great test
case either way -- would you be willing to share the source input
and your build script? (Or if you already have, remind where
exactly I can find it -- I do recall your weblog post from a few
months back explaining your Markdown-based documentation system.)

I'm not entirely sure whether my current internal build performs
as well as Markdown.pl 1.0.1, but I think it does.

> Another problem is the new handling of embedded HTML (as block level

> tags.) Take this example:

> The markup for that ends up as:

Interesting. I'm investigating now.

-J.G.