Re: Formal Grammar — some thoughts

Allan Odgaard 29mtuz102 at sneakemail.com
Tue Aug 1 20:45:52 EDT 2006

On 2/8/2006, at 1:44, Michel Fortin wrote:

> [...] For an item to contain block-level content

I assume this rule applies only to *list* items? Given that e.g.
block quoted text does not show the problem I demonstrated.

> it must be separated by a blank line from the previous or the next

> item (it must not be the sole item in the list), or it must contain

> one or more blank line.

Okay, so the following should not start block quoting (which it does):

* bla bla
> bla bla

Is the rule defined somewhere? and if so, what is the rationale?

I find the need for additional lines around list items irritating
because then that list item will get wrapped in `<p>…</p>` making it
visually stand out. A common problem when working with nested block
level constructs (including just nested lists.)

Also, I take it that a list item not wrapped in `<p>…</p>` or
containing block level constructs is itself not considered a block
level thing, seeing how nested lists defy your rule.

> [...] when inside a list item this question makes sense. So I'll

> reformulate your code sample like this [...] And I get a list item

> inside the blockquote just as you expected

The point of my example was to show the inconsistency.