Formal Grammar?

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sun Jul 9 03:01:49 EDT 2006

* Eric Astor <eastor1 at swarthmore.edu> [2006-07-09 02:00]:

> One question, though – does anyone know of a formal grammar for

> the Markdown syntax?

If anyone’s written one, it’s not public knowledge.

> (probably some BNF variant, in particular bison/flex grammar).

If you need to write it in C, be sure not to miss D. Richard
Hipp’s [lemon][1] parser generator.

[1]: http://www.hwaci.com/sw/lemon/

> Would anyone be interested in contributing to this effort?

I can’t make any promises, but I’ve always wanted an actual
parser rather than all the search&replace-train implementations
that we currently have, so by the looks of it I was going to have
to write one eventually anyway.

Regards,