numbered list bug in markdown.pl?

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Thu Jul 20 17:42:56 EDT 2006

Hi John,

* John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> [2006-07-20 21:45]:

> A. Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote on 7/13/06 at 5:45 AM:

> >So I would argue that there is room to tweak the indentation

> >rules, but none to tweak the numbering requirements. I would

> >instead suggest that to start a nested list, the marker be

> >required to be indented at least three spaces more than the

> >preceeding item.

> I agree. Why three though?

to be conservative. Requiring three spaces is a slightly smaller
change of the newly documented behaviour than four, compared to
the existing undocumented one that someone out there *might* have
relied on.

> It "feels" like a reasonable number, but four spaces is the

> magic cut-off point in all the other places where indentation

> matters in Markdown.

Yes, in terms of clarity of rules I would prefer requiring four.

Since I can only make suggestions, I picked a conservative one.
(I admit I should have specified my reasoning further.) If you as
the one who makes the final call decree that four is the right
number, I’ll be glad about that decision.

Regards,