Re: Formal Grammar — some thoughts

Allan Odgaard 29mtuz102 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jul 29 21:12:26 EDT 2006

On 29/7/2006, at 23:54, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

>> [ list stuff ]

> Objection. To me, a great feature of Markdown over nearly every

> wiki markup out there is that nested block structures are

> composable with straightforward rules. If a pure formal grammar

> can’t cope, then to hell with pure formal grammars.

Well, I’d like to have these “straightforward rules” defined before I
judge wether or not a formal grammar can cope ;)

The syntax page [1] only mentions nesting of block quotes (in block
quotes) and doesn’t mention nested lists at all. The “reference
implementation”, as you say, “isn’t very good” -- at least not for
extracting concise syntax rules.

[1] http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax