underscore and italic policy

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri Jun 30 16:51:05 EDT 2006

Hi Sam,

* Sam Joseph <srjoseph at hawaii.edu> [2006-06-30 19:50]:

> One markdown policy that doesn't seem to fit intuitively for

> our users is the fact that embedded underscores leads to

> italics.

this has been complained about multiple times; I started one of
these threads too, when John himself ran afoul of it in a Daring
Fireball article. At the time, he agreed this was a problem and
said he would adjust the matching for embedded underscores in an
upcoming version.

The only reason that this hasn’t changed, I think, is that
unfortunately no new releases have happened in a long time.

Regards,