Markdown file extension

Tobias Gruetzmacher tobias at portfolio16.de
Mon Oct 9 19:54:29 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 04:40:27PM -0700, Robert Ullrey wrote:

> >Why wouldn't the extension be the same on all platforms?

> I seem to recall that windows only supports three letter extensions. I

> am wlecome to being corected though, but that was also my understanding

> why we have .htm (windows) and .html(*nix).

That is only legacy. Since the web is older then Windows 95, which
brought LFN to FAT and ISO9660 (Joilet), there were some file extensions
shortened. I don't think there are any modern operating systems which
don't allow longer file extensions. WinXP even has standard extensions
which are much longer (.manifest, for example).

Greetings, Tobi

--
GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred
My, oh so small, homepage: http://portfolio16.de/