Block quotes with a blank line between them get merged

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Thu Oct 19 17:18:42 EDT 2006

* Jacob Rus <jrus at hcs.harvard.edu> [2006-10-19 22:30]:

> Can it be explained again why we need to have this explicit

> character at the beginning of lines? Is there some particular

> case of block quotes for which markdown isn't perfectly

> sufficient right now? This seems to me like change for

> change's sake, without sufficient justification.

Did you follow all of the thread? The initial issue was that it’s
not currently possible to have two consecutive but separate
lists. The solution to that is simple: a gap of two blank or more
blank lines between lists should force them to be separate.

But that solution falls flat when it encounters code blocks,
because may well contain consecutive blank lines, aren’t marked
with any explicit prefix character like all other block
constructs, and whitespace alone isn’t enough to overcome the
lack of prefix because lines that contain only whitespace are
considered empty by Markdown.

Hence this discussion.

> In this new system, where every line begins with, for example,

> a `~` character, how many spaces will be stripped after the

> `~`? Any choice made here will be arbitrary, and will disagree

> with the way some number of people write the other types of

> blocks, such as block quotations.

That is a good concern.

Regards,