Possible bug in Markdown.pl with `<<` handling

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Sep 13 09:13:42 EDT 2006

Le 13 sept. 2006 à 6:29, Fletcher T. Penney a écrit :

> Perhaps I am ignoring something obvious - but when does `<<` ever

> occur in XHTML?

> Shouldn't it be a safe assumption that Markdown should convert any

> string of multiple `<`'s in a row into `&lt;`'s?

`<<` doesn't occur in valid HTML or XHTML. But we are talking about
Markdown, not HTML.

The question is how to disambiguate text from tags in Markdown?
Currently this is very simple: if something looks like a tag, then it
is treated as a tag. Markdown sees `<<tag>>` as a valid tag
surrounded by `<` and `>`.

But that does not mean it's the right thing to do. Does `<<tag>>`
looks like a tag? I suppose it's debatable. To me it looks more like
French quotes.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/