Backtick Hickup

Allan Odgaard 29mtuz102 at sneakemail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:23:34 EDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:

> Le 2007-08-08 à 18:29, Milian Wolff a écrit :

>> [...]

>> # Input:

>> Backtick: ``\```

> [...] To come to this result, Markdown first see two blocks of

> backticks, one of two backticks `` and one of tree ``` with a

> backslash \ inbetween. [...]

I would have expected it to see first two back-ticks, then scan
forward until another two back-ticks are seen (since the open-token
defines the close-token) and thus give this output:

I know most Markdown parsers do not follow conventional parser
wisdom, but IMO this is also the interpretation that suits an
incremental tokenizer/parser best compared to your interpretation,
which requires a look-ahead to potentially the end of the document,
each time one or more back-ticks are seen.