[ANN] PEAR Channel and Git Repository Mirror for PHP Markdown & Extra

Allan Odgaard 29mtuz102 at sneakemail.com
Fri Aug 31 20:33:25 EDT 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 10:22 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:

> [...]

> So today I announce two additional ways of grabbing PHP Markdown

> and PHP Markdown Extra. The first one is a PEAR channel [...]

Since I was one of those requesting this, here’s my feedback: I think
PEAR is badly suited to my purpose. For WordPress the file
(markdown.php) needs to be in wp-content/plugins or so *and* I need
to edit the file for my configuration changes (e.g. having it output
HTML tags rather than XHTML).

The location thing can probably be solved with a symbolic link, but
while I didn’t experiment with PEAR, I do not think it supports
upgrading a package where the user has local changes -- maybe it
would be worth considering getting preferences optionally from a
separate file (it’s no real problem for me though, just mentioning
that maybe it is not ideal, especially if one install of PHP Markdown
is shared among multiple users/systems).

Anyway, PEAR might be good for other setups (so I am not saying
remove it, just that for me, this seems to be no better than the zip).

> The second method for grabbing PHP Markdown is to use the Git[^1]

> repository mirror available at <http://git.michelf.com/php-markdown/>.

This works for my purpose, i.e. I can just git pull and have git
merge in my local changes etc. Thanks!

> [...] The repository contains two branches: the "master" branch

> contains the code for PHP Markdown; and PHP Markdown Extra is

> maintained in the "extra" branch.

I wonder how you plan to maintain this.

Since the two branches are newer going to be merged, but Markdown
Extra is supposed to always be a superset of Markdown, ideally you
would re-base extra each time you update master -- but because you
make the extra branch public, you can’t do that (by convention, since
a re-base will remove nodes, causing a problem when other fetch
changes for the extra branch) so instead you will have to cherry-pick
the patches applied to master.

I guess cherry-picking each time will work, but it seems like maybe
the two versions of markdown.php should not be maintained as two
separate branches, as those branches will effectively only share one
parent node (the root node) and have lots of identical descendants,
but with no tie between them.

So I would suggest just having one source with PHP’s equivalent of
#ifdef MARKDOWN_EXTRA or similar, for where they diverge.

> The Git mirror should be particularly interesting to other

> developers who want to follow PHP Markdown's development and track

> changes made to it. Take note that I offer no guaranties about the

> stability of the code on the head of any branch, so be careful with

> what you get there.

Could you introduce a ‘latest’ tag which is the latest release
version? That would make it easier to track.