Markdown is confused by quoted text inside a list inside a list

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Dec 18 22:23:51 EST 2007

Le 2007-12-18 à 1:07, Matt Kraai a écrit :

> + Item 1.

> + Item 2:

> * Foo.

> * Bar:

> > Some quoted text inside Bar.

> More of Bar.

> * Baz.

There are a lot of strange cases with list handling in Markdown.
Markdown doesn't follow its own rule about the indent of nested list
items... except when it does like for the blockquote here. The spec
says that the content of a list item shall be indented by four
spaces; the content of Item 2 isn't (nor is the content of Bar), but
the content of Bar is. I'm not sure which should be considered a bug:
the block quote not nested or Foo, Bar, and Baz not being part of the
same list as Item 1 and 2.

I've been wondering what to do about this in PHP Markdown for a
while, and decided not to move until Markdown.pl does in order to
keep the two compatible. Given the amount of Markdown content
everywhere, I'm concerned by how many documents such a change would
(silently?) break.

I certainly hope it gets fixed, and thus I'm glad to see the issue
raised again.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/