Importing Markdown posts to WordPress

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Dec 26 19:50:55 EST 2007

Le 2007-12-26 à 11:40, Dr. Drang a écrit :

> I apologize for being off-topic, but I think there's more expertise on

> this list than I'll find elsewhere.

> I'm thinking about moving my blog from Movable Type 3.2 to WordPress.

> As a test, I've set up a local WP installation and imported my old

> posts--all of which are written in Markdown. They look awful,

> primarily because the blocks of source code in many of my posts are

> not being imported properly. Here is what I've done:

> 1. Exported the MT 3.2 posts using MT's builtin export command.

> 2. Installed WP and the PHP-MarkdownExtra plugin. Activated the

> plugin.

> 3. Imported into WP the text file that came out of the MT export

> process.

> The biggest problem seems to be that WP isn't recognizing the Markdown

> formatting of the exported posts. What should be enclosed by

> instead.

> Has anyone here experienced and solved this problem?

I'd suggest you try the following to find out where's the problem. In
WordPress, check that if you create a new post it is correctly
converted by PHP Markdown Extra (try create a code block) to make
sure the plugin works as expected. If that works, open (edit) an
imported post (with a code block) and see if it properly Markdown-
formatted.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/